Sunday, March 09, 2008

Plastic knob update

A woman from Allparts keeps phoning me when I'm out, leaving messages about the knob, as it's now become available; Unfortunately the credit card I used when I originally ordered it has since expired. In any case, I ordered a set of white Fender knobs a while ago, which were cheaper, and will look better.

I sat down to fix the electronics last weekend and found that the lot, possibly excluding the pickups, is in a sorry state. The pots have a furry tarnish, and I seriously doubted their usability before they spent a winter in my shed. The whole lot was so seriously manky that I went to Stewmac and ordered a new set of innards. Plus some Guitar Grease (graphite nut lube), and a bone nut for my own Strat, which I guess will no longer be vegetarian after the operation; Guitar magazines tell me however, that a bone nut will sound like a £1000 guitar. Hopefully I can avoid contracting anthrax whilst shaping the nut, which I imagine is winging it's way across the Atlantic, or whatever it's called nowadays, as I type this. Even more hopefully, it will arrive quite a bit less than a year after I ordered it, unlike the case of the pink plastic knob (One of Sherlock Holme's less publicised cases?).

No comments: